Sunday, October 23, 2005

Close brushes...

It was about 9.45am and I was on my ol white vespa scooting away anxiously. It's a Sunday morning and I had to go over to one of my director's apartment to help him fix up an ADSL modem.

The only trouble is that I've never been to his apartment before. But I knew the street he's living at. My former MD used to live in an apartment on that street. So, as I was comfortably negotiating a roundabout, this car over on another lane to my right suddenly swerved into mine! For the love of God, it almost didn't give me time to react. I slammed on the brakes praying that there better not be a 30-footer behind me. Whatever...this idiot went on making a sharp left into me!

Well...I've always wondered how it felt to be able to fly..and I got my wish.
My disgraceful landing would've made Superman shudder in his blue tights. The tar road wasn't exactly a sheet of silk. A couple of kids ran over to help me out. Clenching my teeth...the pain...the humiliation....I glanced over to the car that knocked me over. It had stopped like some 30 or 40 meters away...then I saw the driver wind down the screen and flipped one at me!!! That son of a bitch!!!

I was going to kill him...that bastard. When I started to move towards him, he actually drove off! My eyesight was shot and so I didn't get his plate number. Damn it! I was so freaking boiled up that I didn't realize those kids who helped me earlier were holding onto my arm and covering it with hand towels. I was bleeding quite badly. And then I had to sit down because I wasn't feeling too good. I was bumped around pretty good but nothing serious.

I thanked the boys for helping me out and looked at my poor...poor vespa! Thank God he was doing much better than I was. Suddenly I remembered my appointment. I'm late.
Well, I finally found his apartment and got to work. I talked to him through gritted teeth all along. The pain was getting to me. The other thing that's getting to me is that my director suddenly decided to switch the conversation medium to Japanese. I mean...I'm still taking lessons and could understand him half the time but I'm in too much pain to be thinking to put my words in Japanese for his benefit.

"Rii-za-n san, doko e omoimasu?" he started to tune into a casual conversation... I'm not sure that was what he asked but it sure sounded like it. The structure was missing something but I'm sure it was delirium on my part.

"gomen...Otsuki san..mooichido kudasai.." between the pain and fighting the wires & cables..I wasn't really paying attention to what he was asking me.

"Oro...! nanda korewa..?" he grabbed my arm. And then he asked me what happened to me. I told him while I was finishing up fixing the damn modem. He offered to send me to the hospital but I declined politely, dismissing the idea. After excusing myself, I left the apartment.

I spent a couple of hours sitting in a park absorbing what just happened to me. It was really a sucky weekend and this incident just made me realize that I could've died if I hadn't rolled in with the impact of that fucking car. And I remembered similar incidents that happened to me before. In all the 15 years of my life riding bikes on the streets, I've been really lucky. Including this, I've had so far 4 accidents. And only once did I end up in the hospital. Even so, I got away with minor bruises. Did I really cheat death during these occassions? If I did...will I get away with it the next time?

Delayed shock...I guess. I went to the theatre to watch a movie to calm myself down. It worked, even it meant I was bleeding all over the damn seat.
Close brushes, huh...?