Thursday, November 30, 2006

I have been hunting some music that I've heard at places. I've done an overhaul to the blogskin with some modifications. As I'm not trained in using html codes, it was such a headache trying to get things to work the way I want it. And while at it, I tried out CoffeeCup HTML Editor. Not bad compared to Frontpage.
Anyway, I've been uploading some cool songs. You can check it out on the right side of the blogpage. You can use the controls on the mp3 player to select songs, you can see the playlist just below the player.

I wanted to feature 3 songs from 3 different artists. The first is a band called Blue Merle with its song Stay. When I first heard this song, I somehow connected to the sounds of Coldplay, but I realized it was more than just an easy and soothing music to listen to as the song progresses. Blue Merle is on acoustic base, using instruments like violins and even the mandolin. To quote, "Blue Merle is a band that doesn't simply defy expectations, it renders them irrelevant." This song simply transports you.

The next song is Devil Got My Woman. It was written and sung by Skip James. He was virtually unknown to listeners until about 1960. In 1964 blues enthusiasts John Fahey, Bill Barth and Henry Vestine found him in a Tunica, Mississippi hospital. According to Calt, the "rediscovery" of both Skip James and of Son House at virtually the same moment was the start of the "blues revival" in America. In July 1964 James, along with other rediscovered performers, appeared at the Newport Folk Festival. Throughout the remainder of the decade, he recorded for the Takoma, Melodeon, and Vanguard labels and played various engagements until his death in 1969. -got it out of Wikipedia.
I first heard this song in a bar that hosts bikers. I remembered it was a lazy and warm afternoon when the jukebox played this song. To most uninitiated listeners, this song might sound a bit weird and far from Blues as you'd know it. There's a few reasons why. Songs like this one was also known as the Indian Blues and very little is known about it. The other reason is might because Skip wrote his songs on a different key (DADFAD). For those who still can't understand it...let's say it's an acquired taste.

The last song I want to mention here is Obokuri Eeumi. Yes, it's a Japanese song. It's a lullaby of sorts. Sang by Ikue Asazaki; her voice has a calming effect on me.
Ikue Asazaki is an elderly lady from Amami island whose voice is full of character, slightly hoarse and sometimes with falsetto. She sings Okinawan and Amami traditional minyo, plus old Japanese songs and lullabies.

And for those who might be wondering, the rest of the songs in the playlist are by the Dissociatives; and Thievery Corporation.

Labels: