Friday, September 22, 2006

So...I happen to be sitting with a group of colleagues drinking coffee. I drank tea. One of them started talking about global politics. I continued to drink my tea and zoned out looking at people passing by.
When I came to, they were discussing about terrorists attacks and proceeded to talk about why suicide bombers allegedly provoked Israel into a vicious counter strike. My tea was losing its taste. Then they turned to me and asked, "Why are they (terrorists) doing this?"

me: "Excuse me?"
they: "Why are the Muslims against Israel? Could it be because they are Jews?"
me: "You're insinuating a racist element here."
they: "It's not? You're the resident Muslim, give an insight to this then."
me: "Funny how one should say that. Interchanging 'terrorists' with 'muslims' and you mentioned Jews after Israel?"
they: "We just couldn't understand why the Palestinians refused to acknowledge Israel.."
me: "Then read about it. The history of the Zionist movement back when there was no Israel. There was only Palestine until an agreement was made with then King Faisal to tolerate a Jewish state in Palestine. And now the Palestinians are being driven out of their land. Go figure!"
they:"....."
me: "Y'all do me a favor. Do your homework before you throw questions like these at me. It's very insulting, to say the least!"

I was pissed off. Not because of the questions but rather because I'm a Malay guy. Because it was preconceived that I may not be able to comprehend the situation that they put me in. I was expected of them to react in a certain way that'll attribute to the stereotype. Well, fuck them.