Friday, March 21, 2003

Earlier this week I had the honour of getting to know yet another band of kewl guys from Indonesia - Kripik Peudeus. If ur wondering, it's pronounced as Krepek Pedas.
Don't ask me...but I guess it's a pretty original name. These guys came down to Singapore to spent time with me & my friends, after their performance in the oh-so glamarous Anugerah Planet Muzik. They are the third Indonesian band I've acquainted with since SO7 & Padi.
After spending two evenings with these guys, I reminisced of the times I've spent with the other two bands. I realized something. We Singaporeans take things for granted by mental default. Our social program had turned us into proud & obnoxious bastards, while my acquaintances has elements of humbleness.
Throughout my career experience, I've met people who looked down on asian foreigners. Is this racism? Or simply we are biased. To what end?
I knew foreigners whom in their homeland, considered an average, has an education much higher than Chief Engineers & Senior Lecturers. I knew stories of govt bodies trapped in a game of chess trying to oust these smart foreign talents.
I suppose we need to respect these people for who they really are. Be more sensitive. After all, they are trying to make a living like everyone else.