Friday, April 04, 2003

I've been watching alot of news from cable tv lately and I am amused. Not that I am sado masochistic, just amused at the way the media works.
Recently, the Big Daddy asked me if I could make a song out of his angry poem - The Bravehearts of Babylon. I had to admit as I was laughing my head off, conversing with this bucket mentor of mine, he sounded like an Angry Young Man! However, knowing sadness is what the poem conveys albeit the angry words, a familiar tune ran its notes over my mental staff lines. A song from way back - The Gates of Babylon. It came to an abrupt pause when I recalled the meaning of the song. In a split second, imaginary chords rang in my head. Soon, I was humming to the poem that the Old Man was bragging about. I jotted down a few notes when I got home. But for now, I have to put that aside cos I'm swamped with Urbankarma's project. It's been a real trying period for all of us and I have a gut feeling that something ugly is rearing its ugly head round the corner. I am wary but unworried. I got the nerves to match my godfather's, Mr SES. The visions we shared needs some getting used to, though.



Anyway, in the spirit of Against Vulgar Display of Power, here's pieces of my contribution, my intifada in my context.

We knew our kind are a race of mass destruction but;
Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I will create vicegerent on earth." They said: "Wilt thou place therein one who will make mischief therein & shed blood? - whilst we do celebrate Thy praises & glorify Thy holy(name)?"
He said: "I know what ye know not."
(Al Baqarah 2:30)

And to those whom we knew our mortal enemies;
Fain would they deceive God & those who believe, but they only deceive themselves, & realise (it) not! In their hearts is a disease; and God increased their disease: and grievious is the penalty they (incur), because they are false (to themselves). (Al Baqarah 2:9-11)

Uhm...how'd they act?
Their similitude is that of a man who kindled a fire; when it lighted all around him, God took away their light & left them in utter darkness. So they could not see. (Al Baqarah 2:17-18)

Another poem for another.....

Blind census by aredz

Fear is the element that will consume
Right off your bed & straight into your tomb
Fear is that something you don't comprehend
Or fail to? Or refuse? That when you did, you made no amends

O ye who believes; It will consume.

Blind is what you choose
Over millions of visions of truth
Blind are the visionary
Whose fear shaped children's life-wrenching noose

O ye who believes; It will be their tomb

Pride you fear to lose as vanity prevails
Bring your hand down to clamp mouths of those who wailed
Deafening the silence that grows louder each day
Deaf to deaths as your parable, you give away

O ye who believes; the deafening silence of those slain

Do you not know what you had done?
Do you not see the tears scarred face in the light of the blinding sun?
Do you not hear the heart wrenching cries of fathers in the arms of their dying sons?
The blood that weeps in the womb of their daughters?
The tears that bleeds for a fallen mother?

O ye who believes; Let us pray...