Friday, November 03, 2006

Mockingbird

Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.

No matter how many times I read it, the story never got boring. Harper Lee made us see the world through the eyes of Scout and Jem of Maycomb County. For a brief novel, it sure did cover alot of serious social issues.

I studied the text in school but found out years later everytime I read this book, it gave me deeper meanings, broader views and new understanding.

I could relate heavily to Boo Radley's sentiment.

"...naw, Jem, I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."

"That's what I thought, too, when I was your age. If there's just one kind of folks, why can't they get along with each other? If they're al alike, why do they go out of their way to despise each other? Scout, I think I'm beginning to understand something. I think I'm beginning to undestand why Boo Radley stayed shut up in the house all this time...it's because he wants to stay inside."