Sunday, May 11, 2003

BOO RADLEY

In everyone of us lies an incomprehensive fear. The subject of fear I'm talking about zeroes into a more adult nature - discrimination.
Often, we humans tends to discriminate something that is different from us. Perhaps, something that isn't familiar. We are quick to label it rather than try to understand what is it that we are actually afraid of.
I've been a fan of the X-MEN for years now. I can give you a very detailed history of characters and how they came to be. But apart from its fantastic comic art, I loved the X-MEN titles because it deals with a very serious issue. And I learned alot from reading these comics and came to reflect upon it in real life. Believe it or not, these fictional characters lived out the struggles of racism, sexual discrimination, AIDS, cancer, facism, political struggles and even the tolerance of homosexuality.
I've been laughed at by my peers for holding onto a habit reading these comic books for life. It's fine by me as reading these comics gave me more insight socially than the taunts of discouragement. And if I might add, a couple of my buddies now had gone X crazy after watching the movie X2. One even went into the trouble of mailing me pictures of himself with Wolverine claws!
Personally, I have met and have known people who are different. Define different. But does it really matter? If there's one great achievement in life, it should be the ability to see past superficial transgressions and accept the person. That would be one of the greatest power yet. But still it requires an initiative.
I have alot of friends and occassionally, it saddens me when humour turns into cruelty without realising it. If God made us equal, then where do we go off casting inferiority of our fellow humankind? Realize it or not, every each one of us are walking sacks of shit. Comprende?
Maybe next time you will think before mouthing off how black the skin colour of a person or how fat someone looks or ugly. Maybe you ain't so goodlooking yourself, bitch!
Maybe you'll try to not think of the skin colour but how warm his/her smile is, something like that.
If Scout, Jem & Dill learned that Boo Radley is much as a victim they were, I don't see why we can't.