Monday, April 10, 2006



I used to be involved in contact sports a long time ago. It was a tough sport for me. 3 sets of 3 minute rounds doesn't do much if you're outside the ring. When you're a spectator, you're in a state of displacement. And unless you've been in the ring, you'll never know what it feels like.

I remembered facing off with an opponent who's almost superior to me in every way. He was faster than me, stronger than me. The guy was well-built for his size or should I say our size. I was competing in a 60kg weight class. And to top it off, he was an arrogant little prick! He was good and knows it. The first round had me blocking his strikes, kicks & punches. I felt the power in those attacks and I knew if I let him through I would be done for. And I almost did. He launched a combo of punches and kicks. He had a peculiar technique that I didn't anticipate and landed a kick in my ribs which made me see stars!
When I recovered, I felt the anger raise in me. It wasn't however, directed at my opponent. I was angry with myself for being careless. I took too much time to measure him up. Sure he's faster & stronger, but that doesn't mean he's better than me. I'd already knew how he fought for the first 2 rounds, I just needed to take him out on the 3rd. The guy liked to bounce around on his toes when squaring off an opponent and when he kicks, he took to the air. I kept going at him with punches which connected to his midsection and I knew the kick was coming. When it did, I let loose the strongest forward kick I could muster. I actually sent him flying and knocked out. And when the bell sounded, I realized how exhausted I was.

I had to recuperate for a few days after the fight because I didn't realize how hurt I was. I had broken ribs. It was strange how the aches came to plague me. I never ached that much when I trained. Dakara, I realized that I had channeled all my energies & thought in that last round which took alot out of me.

I don't fight in the ring anymore. But I am still fighting outside the ring here, in the real world where the sound of the bell can't save you. I will one day reach a state of exhaustion where my body will just give way and then I wouldn't be able to fight anymore. It will be so easy to just give up the fight because you're so tired of fighting. It's almost the 3rd round again. My only hope is that I don't give it up and also not die of exhaustion.